Rhode Island Rams vs. Wagner College Seahawks
Tootell Aquatic Center - Kingston, R.I.
How it Happened:
Rhode Island returned to the pool after the long break and picked up right where they left off, dominating Wagner 177-123 Sunday afternoon.
Rhody got off to a hot start, picking up three wins in the first five events of the meet. The upperclassmen team of senior Grace Kneller, senior Nicole Petta, junior Caitlin Guccione and senior Eliza Anderson posted a 1:49.46 in the 200-yard medley relay, good for first. Junior Sabrina Anderson brought home the 1000-yard freestyle, while Petta picked up another win in the 100-yard breaststroke.
Rhode Island also picked up big points from its divers. Katy Evans, Cameron Murray and Alyssa Campone swept the 1-meter dive. That same trio finished second, third and fourth, respectively, in the 3-meter dive.
The Rams' current 7-0 streak is the best start in program history.
Standouts from the Pool:
- Junior Caitlin Guccione continued to flex her strength in the butterfly events, winning both the 100- and 200-yard races.
- Senior Eliza Anderson (24.93) edged out junior teammate Maddie Horner (25.11) to win the 50-yard freestyle.
- Junior Sabrina Anderson earned a first place finish in the 500-yard freestyle (5:17.05).
- Junior Emma Grace Pecha (1:57.58), junior Mackenna Dunn (1:57.89) and junior Maddie Horner (1:58.05) finished second, third and fourth in the 200-yard freestyle.
- The Rams grabbed the last points of the day when junior Maddie Horner, junior Mackenna Dunn, senior Grace Kneller and senior Eliza Anderson won the 400-yard freestyle relay.
"We talked to the girls a lot this week about how we wanted to approach this meet. Wagner is a tough team and we knew they were coming here right off their training trip. But it was clear the girls went into the meet ready for anything and they all fought hard for the win and didn't hold back. Off the blocks and off the boards the girls just continue to push themselves and rise to challenges." -Assistant Coach Lilli Falconer
Rhody will head to UMass for its second A-10 matchup of the season on Tuesday, Jan. 15. The meet is set to begin at 1 p.m.