How It Happened
After taking a 2-1 set lead, Rhode Island fell to host Pepperdine, 3-2, in the opening game of the Pepperdine Asics Classic.
The Rams (0-1) were aggressive early, taking sets one and three by scores of 25-17 and 25-21, respectively.
The Rams found themselves down late in the fourth set, 20-17. After a timeout, URI would take six of the next eight points and a 23-22 lead. The Waves (1-0) would take take the last five points and win the set, 25-23.
In the fifth set, Rhode Island and Pepperdine saw back-and-forth action early on. Tied 6-6, the Waves took seven of the next nine points to give them a 13-8 lead. URI fought back with two consecutive points, but eventually dropped the set, 15-11.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Audrey Castro led Rhody with 17 kills. She also tallied 15 digs and one assist.
- Junior Kylee Wolfe recorded her first career double-double, contributing 11 kills and 15 digs.
- Junior Marie Gillcrist was the only other Ram with double-digit kills at 10 (.318 hitting percentage). She also added five total blocks.
- Senior Callan Kinnan also recorded a double-double, finishing with 48 assists and 16 digs. Kennan is now 54 assist away from sole possession of second all time in URI history.
- Junior Sam Roberts also contributed seven kills to the match. Layne Self included nine kills and five digs.
- Junior Jessie Blaze had a match- and career-high 22 digs. She also contributed five assists.
Stat of the Match
- 6 - Rhode Island went on streaks of four or more consecutive points at six different times in the match.
The Rams return to action at the Pepperdine Asics Classic later tonight with a match against CSUN at 8 p.m.