How It Happened
Rhode Island got stronger in each passing set as they defeated the University of Hartford in three sets (27-25, 25-23, 25-19) on Friday evening in the opening match of the Hartford Invitational.
The Rams (1-3) took any early lead in the match with a thrilling first set that saw the two teams going into bonus time, with Hartford taking the lead twice within the last four points, only to have Rhody bounce back and take the final two points of the set, 27-25.
The second set saw the Rams go up early with a 12-6 lead before the Hawks (0-5) climbed back, taking the lead, 23-22. Rhode Island wouldn't go quietly, capturing three points in a row and coming back to win the set, 25-23.
They would take care of business in the third set, as Rhody took an early lead that they wouldn't give it up to complete the sweep.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Callan Kinnan converted her third double-double in four matches, tallying 29 assists and 13 digs.
- Senior Layne Self led the Rams with seven blocks, including her 374th, moving her into fifth all time in that category. She also registered eight kills and a team-high .538 hitting percentage.
- Senior Audrey Castro led the team with 10 kills in the match. She also recorded seven digs.
- The Rams dealt out seven service aces, a season high for the team. Kinnan recorded five of the seven.
Stat of the Match
- 377 – After tallying seven blocks in this evening's match, senior middle Layne Self has 377 blocks on her career, good enough to move her past Karla Bragg (1994-97) and into fifth all time in the category. Self needs seven more to pass Cheri Melson (1997-00) and move into the fourth spot.
The Rams continue with the Hartford Invitational tomorrow at 10 a.m. as they take on the Central Connecticut Blue Devils.