How It Happened
For the second night in a row, Rhode Island made quick work of an Atlantic 10 opponent, sweeping La Salle 25-18, 25-15, 25-13 in just one hour and nine minutes Saturday night.
The Rams (7-7, 2-0 A-10) hit an impressive .320 as a team, committing just 10 errors while getting 34 kills in 75 attacks. Rhody did not have more than four errors in any set, as the balanced attack was consistent throughout. By contrast, La Salle (8-9, 0-2 A-10) had a .039 hitting percentage, making 18 errors with just 21 kills in 77 attacks. Rhode Island's defense made things difficult for the Explorers, coming up with 16 blocks in just three sets.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Audrey Castro was the only player in the match to reach double digits in kills with 12. She also had seven digs, two aces and three block assists.
- With six kills, senior Layne Self became the 21st player in program history to reach 850 for her career. She now has 853. She also had a team-best five block assists.
- Senior Callan Kinnan had 28 assists, five digs and two block assists.
- Sophomore Olivia Budinich had a match-high eight digs.
- Rhode Island matched its season high with 10 service aces. The Rams also had 10 against San Diego State. Rhody has 19 aces over the last two nights.
- Junior Jessie Blaze led the team with three aces. Audrey Castro, Layne Self and Kylee Wolfe each had two.
Stat of the Match
8 – Over its last eight sets, Rhode Island has not allowed its opponent to score more than 20 points. In six of the eight sets, the opposition has scored 16 points or less.
Rhode Island heads to George Mason Friday, Sept. 30. The match begins at 7 p.m.