How It Happened
For just the fourth time this season, no Rhode Island (12-9, 7-2) player tallied double-digit kills as a balanced attack led the Rams to a sweep of Fordham, Saturday night at Keaney Gymnasium. Rhody won by scores of 25-13, 25-21 and 25-18.
The three-set sweep is Rhody's 10th of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- With the win, Rhode Island improves to 12-9 (7-2) while Fordham drops to 10-14 (3-6).
- As a team, Rhody converted 77 percent (42-54) of its sideout opportunities while holding Fordham to a 40-73 (54%) showing.
- Seniors Audrey Castro and Layne Self each had nine kills for the Rams. Self also added four blocks - including one solo - and a pair of service aces while Castro registered a match-high four aces to go along with a pair of digs.
- Senior Callan Kinnan posted 29 assists, three kills, three digs and a service ace.
- Neither Self (9k/12ta) nor Kinnan (3k/4ta) recorded an attack error while combining for 12 kills on 14 swings.
- Junior Sam Roberts finished with eight kills on the night, recording just one error on 17 total attacks.
- Junior Marie Gillcrist had five kills and three block assists. Classmate Kylee Wolfe also had three block assists, as well as three digs and a pair of kills.
- Junior Jessie Blaze and sophomore Olivia Budinich led all players with eight digs apiece. Blaze also had a pair of aces while Budinich had one ace and three assists.
Stat of the Match
7 – Rhode Island has now won seven consecutive matches against Fordham, outscoring the Bronx Rams 21-2 during that stretch.
Rhode Island hits the road for a pair of away matches at Davidson and VCU next weekend.