How It Happened
Rhode Island rallied from two sets down to defeat Columbia and get its first win of the season Friday night at the Holy Cross Invitational. The Rams fell, 3-0, to Drake earlier in the day.
After dropped the first two sets 25-27 and 22-25, Rhody (1-4) used a 6-2 run midway through the third set to take a 20-16 lead. The Rams had a balanced attack throughout the set, which was seen down the stretch as Natale Zanellato, Claire Chaplinsky, Mariah Paulette and Mckenzie Kiesle each had a kill in a span of five points to help put the set away.
Zanellato and Chaplinsky did the bulk of the damage in the fourth set, combining for 12 of Rhody's 18 kills as URI tied the match and forced a deciding set. Zanellato again led the way in the fifth, getting four more kills while Paulette added three more as the Rams took the set, 15-11, to secure the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Lauren Pick had a season-high 50 kills against Columbia. Her passing helped the Rams have 64 kills, the team's most in a match this year.
- She added 13 digs to pick up her second double-double of the year.
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato had 19 kills, her best total as a Ram. With 12 digs, she had her first double-double of the year.
- Zanellato added a team-high seven kills in the loss to Drake.
- Senior Olivia Budinich had a season-high 28 digs and chipped in with four assists.
- Sophomore Claire Chaplinsky had 15 kills and three block assists.
- Freshman Mariah Paulette had nine kills with just one error, while sophomore Kelsey Montgomery had eight kills with just one error.
The Rams close out the the Holy Cross Invitational against the host Crusaders on Saturday at 6 p.m.