Sep 06, 2018
- Rhode Island comes home for the first time this season as it hosts Army West Point, New Hampshire and Yale at the 2018 Art Carmichael Invitational, Friday and Saturday.
- The two-day tournament will include three matches on each day.
- New Hampshire will be appearing in the Art Carmichael Invitational for the third time in the 11-year history of the tournament. Neither Army West Point nor Yale have competed in the event before.
- The Rams got off to an 0-4 start to the season, but came from behind to win their last two matches - against Columbia and Holy Cross - both by a score of 3-2.
Rhode Island vs. Army West Point
- Rhode Island is 5-1 all-time against Army West Point.
- The teams last met at the 2015 Stony Brook Seawolves Invitational, where Rhody picked up a 3-1 win.
- The Black Knights enter the weekend with a 3-4 record, including wins over Quinnipiac (3-1), Albany (3-2) and Southeastern Louisiana (3-0).
- Sydney Morriss leads the team in total kills (80) while Allie Strong has recorded 15 service aces through seven matches.
- Setters Lauren Janos (143) and Nikki Lum (104) each have more than 100 assists so far this season.
- Defensively, Ana Oglivie leads the team with 118 digs.
- Emmy Barnhorst and Monica Eckford have recorded 30 and 28 blocks, respectively.
Rhode Island vs. New Hampshire
- The Rams and Wildcats have faced each other 24 times in the past, with Rhode Island holding a 20-4 edge in the series.
- Most recently, the teams met last season at UNH's Holly Young Invitational. Rhody lost that match 3-2.
- New Hampshire is 2-5 on the season with wins against Milwaukee (3-1) and Bryant (3-2).
- Gabri Olhava and Maddie Wiedenfeld are the team's top attackers, averaging 3.34 and 3.13 kills per set, respectively. The duo leads the team's defense as well combining for 39 total blocks so far this season.
- Emily Tanski has recorded a team-best 166 digs.
- Setter Emma Patlovich has five aces and is averaging 9.48 assists per set.
Rhode Island vs. Yale
- Rhode Island is 2-5 all-time against Yale, with the bulldogs claiming each of the last five matches.
- Last season, URI competed in the Yale Invitational and lost to the Bulldogs 3-1.
- Yale enters the weekend with a perfect 3-0 record, having collected a trio of 3-0 wins over Fairfield, Central Connecticut and Quinnipiac.
- Ellis DeJardin is averaging a team-high 4.00 kills per set.
- Francis Arnautou is three assists shy of 100 as she is averaging 10.78 per set through Yale's first three matches. She also leads the team in service aces (5) and total blocks (9).
- Kate Swanson has recorded 47 digs so far this season, tops among all Bulldogs.
About Art Carmichael
- Art Carmichael was Rhode Island's head coach from 1974 through 1980.
- In his time with the Rams, Carmichael totaled 162 victories, including 39 wins in 1977 and a 24-match winning streak in 1976 - both of which still stand as school records.
Tournament Schedule - Designated home team listed in bold
|Friday||11:00 AM||Army West Point vs. Rhode Island||Live Stats|
|Friday||4:00 PM||Army West Point vs. Yale||Live Stats|
|Friday||7:00 PM||New Hampshire vs. Rhode Island||Live Stats|
|Saturday||11:00 AM||Yale vs. New Hampshire||Live Stats|
|Saturday||4:00 PM||New Hampshire vs. Army West Point||Live Stats|
|Saturday||7:00 PM||Yale vs. Rhode Island||Live Stats|