How it Happened
Rhode Island (6-8, 0-2 A-10) dropped its third match in a row, falling to La Salle 3-0 Friday night in Kingston.
The Explorers (9-7, 2-1 A-10) took control right out of the gate, opening the match on a 12-5 run and pushing the lead to nine at 19-10. Rhody fought back with three straight points to trim the deficit to six, but La Salle closed things out for the 25-17 win.
After scoring the first point of the match, the Rams did not lead again until a Gabrielle Shilling kill put URI up 15-14 in the second set. Rhody and La Salle traded points the rest of the way. Another kill by Shilling, followed by a La Salle attack error, gave the Rams a 21-19 advantage, but the Explorers responded with a 6-1 run to claim the set at 25-22.
La Salle put things away in the third set, scoring the first two points and never relinquishing the lead. Rhode Island made a late push to pull within four (24-20) before La Salle's Devin Corah delivered the match-clinching kill.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato led Rhode Island with 11 kills and eight digs on the night. She also added three block assists.
- Freshman Gabrielle Shilling delivered a career-best six kills and four blocks. Entering the match, she had combined for four kills and three blocks on the season.
- Senior Lauren Pick finished with 26 assists and seven digs.
- Freshman Mariah Paulette registered four kills on eight swings with just one attack error. She also contributed three digs on the night.
- La Salle's Devin Corah recorded a game-high 13 kills. Jensen Sharrits led all players with 13 digs.
- As a team, the Explorers combined for six services aces while Rhody finished with none.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday night when they host Duquesne at 7 p.m.