How it Happened
Rhode Island was swept by Saint Louis (25-18, 25-20, 25-17) Friday night at Chaifetz Pavilion.
Saint Louis opened the match on a 7-0 tear and held on to the lead for the entirety of the first set, never letting Rhody get closer than five points.
The Rams jumped out to a 7-4 lead in the second set, but five straight points by the Billikens put SLU ahead 9-7. The Rams then tied the score at 9-9 and 11-11, but were unable to reclaim the lead as Saint Louis used a 25-20 victory to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
The third set featured five lead changes and seven ties. With the score knotted up at 10 apiece, the Billikens reeled off nine consecutive points to put things out of reach for URI. The Rams got within six - after a Gabrielle Shilling kill and a Mariah Paulette service ace - but SLU closed things out with a 25-17 win to complete the sweep.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Hazel Brown led the Rams with 10 kills. She also added six digs, two block assists and one service ace.
- Freshmen Gabrielle Shilling (6) and Mariah Paulette (5) combined for 11 of Rhody's 29 kills on the night.
- Senior Lauren Pick finished with 18 assists and five digs.
- Senior Olivia Budinich recorded a team-high 10 digs. Freshman Ella Ratzloff added seven.
- Brown, Paulette, Pick and sophomore Annie Ell each had a service ace for the Rams.
- Saint Louis had the advantage in kills (50-29), digs (48-39), assists (49-29) and sideout percentage (68%-50%).
The Rams are back in action Sunday afternoon at Dayton.