How it Happened
Rhode Island snapped its nine-game losing streak by sweeping Davidson 3-0 Friday night. The Rams were dominant throughout, holding the advantage in kills (45-28), hitting percentage (.433-.109), sideout percentage (69%-45%) assists (41-28), service aces (6-3), digs (41-34) and blocks (3-2).
The first set started back-and-forth for the Rams and Wildcats at 6-6. Rhody then scored six straight points to gain a 12-6 advantage and didn't look back. The Rams finished the set 25-17.
Rhody never trailed in the second set, establishing a strong 20-9 lead. Davidson was able to use a 6-3 run to get back within eight points (23-15) but the deficit was too much to overcome as a Claire Chaplinsky kill sealed the set in favor URI, 25-17.
The third and final set was all Rhode Island as the Rams dominated the Wildcats and finished things off with a 7-0 run. The 25-15 third-set victory gave Rhody its first sweep since defeating Albany 3-0 on Sept. 20.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhody's .433 hitting percentage (45k/6e/90ta) was a season high.
- Freshman Claire Wagner led the Rams with 10 kills. She added six digs.
- Sophomore Mariah Paulette had nine kills and two digs. She also had two blocks, ne of which was a solo.
- Junior Annie Ell finished with 18 assists while freshman Adel Gage had 16.
- Juniors Claire Chaplinsky (8) and Natale Zanellato (7) combined for 15 kills.
- Sophomore Ella Ratzloff was the only player in the match to record double-digit digs as she ended the night with 15.
The Rams host VCU Sunday for their final home game of the regular season. Game time is set for 1:00 p.m. Prior to the start of Sunday's match, the Rhody will hold a brief ceremony to honor seniors Hazel Brown and Jenna McGuire.